субота, 31 березня 2012 р.

solfest method CL

It is now factored into my trading algorithm and produces results like this:


Dan:

Not sure I understand your question. The different time frames all have slightly different criteria and they all produce their own blue bar.

With blue bars in place on the longer time frames I can enter on the entry chart if it turns blue.

I have tried, and asked Sierra if there is anyway to have the entry chart pick up the signals from the longer time frames so I would only have to look at one chart.

They say there is a way but I have not been able to do it.

I have no idea if I answered your question or not. :)

April 10, 2011 5:30 PM
Oh, you want the whole system. :)

The length of the MAs really doesn't matter much, I just want to see them stretched out and showing a good trend. I mainly use 8, 21, and 55.

Unless I'm using 5, 13, and 34. :)

The setting for the others are shown on the chart.

I watch 89 tick, 3, 10, and 60 minute charts.

Unless I'm watching the 2 minute. :)

Remember you can't trade my system just as I can't trade yours.

You have to own your system, own it emotionally and intellectually.

Peace.

8/11/2009



Beautiful



2 Minute Crude Oil Chart
Those are some nice signals. Right? The first one was a stop out but the other 2 are things of beauty. Right? Solfest the "genius" must be counting his crude dollars. Right?

Wrong.

What happened? Remember how smart you were yesterday. Yes I do. In fact that was the problem. Recency bias reared its ugly head yet again, recency bias, we place more meaning on the most recent events rather than our historical results. Remember yesterday I was bragging about my brilliant reading of the ADX. So did the ADX let you down today you ask?

No. The ADX levels were through the roof. The problem was I didn't take it in. I saw it but I traded like I did yesterday. I moved stops too soon today. In yesterday's weak trend that was the right move, but today, in the monster trend the thing to do was hit the entry button and let the pre programmed stops do there thing.

I didn't do that. I let my "recent" success from yesterday cloud my decision making today. Result being I hit my daily stop and had to shut it down.

Trading is hard. :)

8/03/2009



Renko Bars and Range Bars



WARNING: This post is very long and has no pictures. If this alarms you skip down to the next post which has few words and shiny pictures of charts.

Pandu the FX trader from Australia asked me this on an old post.

"I want to know what do you mean by 'The hard stop value is set as a % of the range bar we are trading.'. What is the meaning of 'Range Bar'? Also, what parameters do you use for the ADX you use?"

So that along with all the google searches for renko bar trading I get on this blog I thought I should take a moment and discuss why I quit using range bars and or renko bars.

In a word, time.

We all have access to the same data, we all live in the same space and time continuum. I heard that on Star Trek I think.

I don't move the market. I want to be looking at what most everyone else is looking at. Why? Because I'm going to ride along with whomever, collectively or all by themselves, does move the market.

So we're all looking at price move and we are all breaking down that price action with different methods. We have volume, time, and tick data and all of it tracks the same price but presents the trader bar closes in different ways. I want to look at the chart picture with the method, time, that I think most other traders are using. Note I said think, not know.

Of course everyone who uses one of those categories thinks it is the best. Until they change, just like I have. :)

Back to Pandu's question. The range bar measures a set range of price movements and when that range is met the bar prints.

A renko bar does the same except the range has to be all in one direction for the bar to print. So with a 10 tick renko bar the range has to be all up or all down for it to print. A 10 tick range bar could open at 70.25 and have 5 ticks up to 70.30 and 5 ticks down to 70.20 and the bar would print. A 10 tick renko bar would have to have 10 ticks up to 70.35 or 10 ticks down to 70.15 before it would print.
There are other little nuances to them both depending on your chart service but I'm not going into that here.

Got it? I hope so it exhausted me explaining it.

So the benefits to both are when price moves quickly the bars start printing. We need the bars to print in order for our indicators to, well, indicate. It may be a shock for some but all our indicators are lagging. Sorry. They need the price bars to move in order for them to do their "magic".

This all sounds good and works for many people, like the man who loves rain (Rainwater) and really wants to be included in Jules private blog but is too shy to ask. (Rainwater uses range bars not renko bars)

Actually it sounds so good it's making me wonder why I gave them up?

Renko, I gave up because there can be too much intra bar movement and it is too hard to find your way in with renko alone. I started using time charts with renko and then eventually just dumped the renko. Renko charts are great for keeping you in a trade and could be used for a technical exit, but then I started trading for a target rather than a technical exit so renko went bye bye.

Range bars are probably of more use but I found they gave me too many false starts and I need to control my pushy the button fingers.

I control them with time.

Time, I have to wait. I use 1 and 2 minute bars so I don't wait for long but for me, let me say again, for me, I find that time works the best.

Am I late sometimes? Yes. I give that up in order to stay out of some false moves.

So there it is, my trading still looks at range via the ATR, I need to see some movement in one direction via the ADX, I need price on the right side of the EMA's, I look for a higher high or lower low and away we go.

The longer multiple EMAs are there to simulate what a longer term chart would be showing in terms of trend and direction. Like a 5 and 15 minute chart or so.

This is a very long post with no pictures which may be alarming to some. I better place a warning at the top of this post.

Oh yes the rest of Pandu's questions. My stop on the range or renko bar was a % of the bar I was using. So for a 20 tick range bar I may use 75% of that as a stop, 15 ticks. With the ADX and ATR I am looking for a minimum threshold to be met before I start looking for signals. That's all.

P.S. Those renko bar charts were sure pretty.

10/19/2011



I'll just pretend that didn't happen



Yes, I think that is for the best.


Break of the white bar high. :)

It's an ADX function that turns the bar white.




7/28/2009



Change



I did peek a little at charts while on holidays, which was a mistake, and found myself squinting at little charts on my laptop. This got me to thinking about getting the CL trading down to one chart instead of two.

I only use the one minute chart for soybeans but have found with crude oil I need to see trend and range on both the three and one minute charts in order to stay out of trouble. Besides having to watch two charts I have also found that when I see blue on one of the charts I want to hit the button rather than waiting for conformation from the second chart.

So being the quantitative genius that I am I added one minute to three minutes, divided by two and came up with a 2 minute chart.

Still playing with the ADX and ATR settings but found a couple of nice trades today. The trend was so strong this morning blind monkeys could have made money today. Only time will tell if the settings will keep me out of the flats and in the trends.

2 Minute Crude Oil Chart


Solfest said...
Sierra allows you to "program" in an excel spreadsheet the parameters you want from your indicators with a price bar colour change or arrow showing it's time to trade.

For me thats the levels of the ADX and ATR, angle of an EMA, and price on the trade side of the EMAs.

http://tradingcrude.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-make-fire.html

 

12/10/2008



I Make Fire!



Ever see the Tom Hanks movie Castaway? Remember the scene, after days of trying, when he finally makes fire. He starts screaming and dancing around his fire.

Picture one Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, English Canadian dancing around his computer screaming I make bars change colour.

I am a programming master!

Maybe not.

Actually the exceptional Irish trader walked me through some basic programming in Sierra Charts. Sierra uses an XL spreadsheet to allow you to program some parameters of your plan.

The 5 and 1 minute price bars now turn colour when certain conditions are met. The spreadsheet is looking at the ATR, ADX, and CCI and turns the price bar blue for long and white for short. It's not a black box but does give me a visual of when I need to start paying attention.

I have not tried to program anything on the renko charts as they are all ready colour coded for direction, and I am looking at swing highs and lows on it. In other words I wouldn't have a clue on how to program that.

Today's trade action was horrible for me and evidenced by the severe lack of colour on my minute charts.

Here are a couple of 1 minute charts from yesterday and today.



 

Anonymous said...
solf,
Do the yellow bars indicate that you should stay out of market ???
Does your exceptional Irish friend have a room or web site that interested traders can visit ???

Thanks.

December 11, 2008 4:25 AM


Solfest said...
Yes they do.

Contacting the EIT is difficult as he lives in a hollowed out volcano, except when he is at his weekend place, the underground lair.

December 11, 2008 6:56 AM

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар